Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Who is Holly Webb?


I was born in London in 1976, but now I live just outside Reading, with my husband Jon and my three children, Tom, Robin and William.
I haven’t always been a writer. I used to work as an editor at Scholastic Children’s Books.
I first went there when I was 15 to do work experience (when you go and find out what different jobs are like, and mostly do photocopying). I went back every summer and begged and begged until they gave me a job after I left university. I loved being an editor.
When I was much younger I wanted to be a librarian, because I thought that librarians got to spend the whole day reading all the books in the library. I was very disappointed when I found this wasn’t true. (After that I wanted to be an archaeologist, but I gave up on that idea after I discovered most archaeology was not about pyramids but meant getting wet, cold and muddy, and involved a lot of very complicated science.)
Editors do actually get to spend a lot of the day reading. And making coffee. How exciting to read books by fantastic people even before they are finished, and be able to say, "Oooh, I really liked that girl with the red hair. You should put more about her in. In fact, why don’t you write a whole book just about her?" And that sort of thing.Now I write books, it’s very useful, because I can try to think like an editor about my own work (except it’s very hard to do when it means cutting bits out). But at least I’m less grumpy when other people tell me I need to change things, because I’ve made so many other authors do it too...
Scan this code with a QR reader to access Holly Webb's website


  

No comments: